Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Are you called of God?

Sometime ago I wrote an article about "The good life." The good life involves giving your life away to serve others.

This week I want to look at an incident that Isaiah writes about in Chapter 6 and verse 8.

"I heard the voice of the Lord saying: ‘Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?' Then I said, ‘Here am I! Send me'"

I don't believe that this is an incident where God is speaking to Isaiah specifically. It is more like Isaiah overhears God asking generally, "Whom shall I send or who will respond to my call?"

I believe that God is looking out over the Earth and asking who will respond to His call, it's as if He is asking, who out there is listening to my call?"

We hear people say things like, "God has called me to do such and such." Others say, "I have never heard God call me to do anything."

The problem is not in the call; the problem lies in our hearing, because He has called us all.

In Matthew 22 Jesus is giving a teaching about the wedding feast in which the ones He invited refused to come so He extends His invitation to everyone in the whole world.

At the end of His teaching in verse 14 Jesus says, "for many are called, but few are chosen."

Not being a Calvinist, I believe that the choosing is on our part. How many of us have been listening to the call and then chosen to respond?

The chosen path is narrow my friends and not many choose to walk it.

Jesus tells us in Matthew 7 verses 13 and 14 that we should, "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow is the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Can I add, "Few choose to find it?"

Have you chosen to listen to God's call for your life and if you heard His call, have you chosen to walk His path in the company of the few?

I overheard one O'l boy in Louisiana say, "See y'all later, and if I don't see y'all later, I'll see y'all in Heaven, and if I don't see y'all in Heaven, you in a heap of trouble."

See y'all next week.

My email addres is:

jim@burtonia.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home