Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Dare we dream big dreams?

As we go through life we dream about things that we would like to do. Dreams fall into categories; some are easily attainable, others fall into another category we label, "Wouldn't it be wonderful if" and some are just so far out that they fall into a category like "going to the Moon.

I have had several "Wouldn't it be wonderful if," dreams fulfilled. I have thought for years how I would love to preach to an all black church someday. I believe that the Lord must have dropped that dream into my heart one day because for a country boy who never even had any aspirations to preach, it isn't likely that I came up with that one all by myself.

Well, that one came true when a few years back when Ruth and I were invited to travel to West Kenya, Africa to speak in a church. We were teaching in a Bible school at the time and one of our students invited us to his home church.

Ruth taught a ladies seminar on Saturday afternoon with 350 in attendance. One 87 years old woman walked 3 miles to hear her. She was the first white woman to be in that church.

Sunday morning I was to be the speaker. I had wrestled over what kind of a message to give and finally settled on a message on "repentance."

As I walked to the church on Sunday morning I noticed something unusual upon entering the churchyard. I asked the pastor, "Why are there cars in the yard?" In rural Africa very few people own cars, the people walk to church, some of them several miles rain or shine.


The pastor replied, "The news has spread that there will be a white man speaking this morning and several governmental people have come to hear you." Sure enough, when I entered the building there they were off to the side sitting together in a group.

I gave a strong message on the need of repentance and when I concluded I asked the congregation to join me on our knees as we repented of our sins and asked forgiveness.

There were about 1000 people in the building that morning and they all went to their knees, yes I glanced over to the officials and they too were on their knees.

After about 15 minutes my wife Ruth took the microphone and told the people, "now that we have repented of our sins, let's thank the Lord for what he has done for us."

Wow, was I glad that we were on the platform because it got a little wild in that place. They were shouting, dancing, and some were jumping with joy, and yes, even those officials were joining in the excitement.

Ruth and I have been to other African churches where some of the young people had never seen a white person.

Now, that is above and beyond anything that I could have dreamed when I wished, "wouldn't it be wonderful if I could preach to an all black church someday."

See you next weekend.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home